Barbariga is, thanks to numerous antiquity sites in the surrounding area, also known as a place full of archaeological findings, such as remnants of houses and wool production machinery from antiquity, 4th century oil mill and two Villa rusticae (Roman villas) with eye-catching marble mosaics. To its guests, Barbariga offers a spacious pebble beach, exceptionally clean sea and a good selection of restaurants and taverns, and it is also an ideal starting point for visits to popular Istrian cities of Rovinj and Pula, little inland towns Vodnjan and Svetvinčenat and Brijuni National Park, an archipelago of exceptional beauty, a part of world natural heritage under UNESCO protection (daily boat excursions from Fažana).
Brijuni National Park
Brijuni National Park is an oasis of magnificent harmony between man, plant life and animal life. There are almost 700 different species of plants and around 250 bird species on Brijuni, while the mild Mediterranean climate makes this place pleasant and therapeutic. Starting off from Fažana, looking from the boat deck, the line of the green archipelago transforms into Veliki Brijun, the largest of the 14 islands.
Fossil records of dinosaurs, remnants from antiquity and the subsequent centuries, man-made creation of modern times, occupy this place that had its modern age ascent since 1893 and the work of the "old Austrian", industrialist Paul Kupelwieser, the owner of the archipelago. Fashionable summer and health resort of the highest rank starts its expansion, becoming – during Austria-Hungarian and Italian rule - famous throughout Europe and the World, until the cessation in the years of World War II.
After that, Brijuni continue their fame by the political activities of Marshal Josip Broz Tito, the president of former Yugoslavia, who first visited the archipelago in 1947.
The usual short tour of Brijuni takes place by a tourist train through various vistas of natural beauties; through safari-park, along Byzantine Castrum, Roman villa in Verige Bay and other natural beauties and sights. Next to the small harbor, besides hotels "Istra", "Neptun" and "Karmen" there is a small church of St. German from the 15th century that holds the exhibition of Istrian frescoes and copies of Glagolitic inscriptions. Nearby there is Natural history collection, archaeological museum and "Tito on Brijuni" exhibition.
Vodnjan is nowadays a very interesting destination, especially for arts and culture enthusiasts. In the old part of town you will see numerous buildings belonging to different historical periods: Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque. Vodnjan museum is located in a palace built in 1300, which belonged to aristocratic family Bettica. Especially interesting is the Church of St. Blaise, whose bell-tower is the highest in Istria (62 meters) and inside the church mummified bodies of saints and relics are kept.
In the wider area of Vodnjan there are many field stony structures typical of this region – "kažun", built in drystone technique, which were used to mark property. Kažuns are the witnesses of a millennium during which the main occupation of the residents was agriculture, especially olive growing and grape growing. In its historical centre, the town maintained its medieval appearance with vestibules and narrow streets winding asymmetrically between the houses, cobblestone pavements, stone facades, old streets in still recognizable Gothic-Venetian, Renaissance and Baroque style, and numerous churches.